Friday, April 5, 2013

Spreadsheets

Spreadsheets are CRUCIAL in my classroom! They have been important all my life! I love using planners and spreadsheets to organize my thoughts and schedule and have been using them since I was a child. This obsession organization technique has helped me greatly so far in the classroom! I use a spreadsheet daily to track what my students are learning about and how we are doing with their lessons. I use a spreadsheet to track their grades and students are responsible for using a spreadsheet to track their own grades and incentives.


Students do daily "Mad Minute Math" sheets as a warm up for their math lesson. They are to complete a set amount of problems in a certain time. If they finish, they grade it and record the grade in their spreadsheet. If they don't finish, they take a blank copy for homework. Another way they use spreadsheets is to record their incentives. Throughout their lesson if they are doing a good job, staying on task, following along with the reading, etc, students are able to earn "chance cards". At the end of the lesson they are to record their grades in that spreadsheet. Students catch on quickly and use these daily.

In my third-grade co-teaching math class, students have a hard time with tables. We use a spreadsheet to create the tables and have students fill in the blanks where necessary. They are working with these and the progress is eye-opening. It is amazing to be in a classroom and watch students "get it". I can't wait for more opportunities like this to come!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I just had a bad experience with spreadsheets or something because your post definitely made me realize that I too use spreadsheets in my classroom, daily life as well as educational career all the time! You really took this post and showed real world application for the use of spreadsheets. Congratulations Mrs. Lopez you have converted me. Post a picture of a file to this "Mad Minute Math" exercise that you are using in your classrooms. I would like to have it as a resource for my students.

    ReplyDelete