Sunday, March 3, 2013

Emerging Ed Tech



The emergingedtech technology resource ebook is a wonderful tool for educators. There was much to be learned and I will definitely be utilizing it in the future!

I discovered that games are scientifically proven to help students learn. We always knew games helped students, but so much research has proven why it’s helpful. I had no idea here were actual “game-based classrooms”. It was crazy to me that one of the steps in having one of those classrooms was to actually play the games before students got a chance to. Page 25 of the ebook began a list of game websites that worked great in the classroom. I found certain sites like
funbrain, Discovery games, sheppard software, primary games, educational games on nobelprize, and childtopia. Of the ten provided, I would use these six more so than the others. There are seven more listed under that and I know I will keep this book for the purpose of going back and looking at them!

I’m glad there was an entire section on iPads. I recently got an iPad and am interested in how I can use it in the classroom. This chapter detailed the different things I could use it for. I like that there were reviews of different apps I could download and why they worked well in the classroom. I also like that it gave me choices. For example, there were four good apps for whiteboards on the iPad, why they were good, and why others were not good. I found it extremely useful that this book included a
link to an app for students with special needs.

The picture and image editing chapter was interesting because the information learned there could be used outside of the classroom as well.

How will you use your new knowledge of technology in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a great tool as well. I am getting an ipad for graduation and am excited to use it in my class. I have already had success with my kindle fire in the class I am student teaching in. It hadn't crossed my mind how many great educational apps were out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I see what you did! Leaving a question for the readers to answer to make sure that you get comments. nicely done. A true blogger I congrat you. I LOVE using games in the classroom!! I am a very strong advocate for using games in the classroom to disguising learning. No kid enjoys learning but if you can sneak in learning with fun then students are more inclined to want to learn. I really enjoyed the ebook as well. I learned a lot from the website and I still receive those updates that they send out because they send out some good tips. Apple is onto something with their apps because they have their own section for education AND THEN they even have a special education section. And, even though they do not have a ton of apps the ones that they have are defiantly ones that you could use in your classroom as well as for your students. They may be a little pricey but if you plan on using them for the entire school year then it could be worth it. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete