Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lifelong Learners

Technology is being used more and more in the classroom. At early ages people begin using and learning on different types of technology. All students at the preschool I used to work at had scheduled computer time, even at the early ages of 18 months.

I have never used blogs in school. When I was in school we weren't exposed to blogs and on the opposite side of things, as a teacher I have never used blogs in the classroom. I have used blogs to find ideas to use in the classroom, though, and those have proven to be very resourceful.

As a special education teacher, I am not sure how well I can incorporate the use of student blogs. It might work best if maybe I had a blog for the classroom and students helped contribute to it by adding pictures and captions of their work and the things we're working on. They could talk about the things they're learning in the classroom as we go through the year.

Contributing to the classroom in this way moves the participants in this class from students to learners. David Warlick noted the differences between the two in a post on his blog. This will change the way my students participate in the classroom and increase their motivation.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! well written. Once you get a feel for your class and the strengths/weaknesses of your students, you'll know more about if/how you can use blogs in your teaching. Nice post!

    ~Mindy
    www.squareheadteachers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you as a special education teacher it will be very hard to incorporate using blogs in your classroom. I really liked your idea of using the blog to show off your students work. It would be cool to have each students own dedicated blog and have the strategies that you are working with on the website. This way the parents and students can always go back to it outside of class to work on their assignments without frustration. haha I really liked your blog post because, ain't it the truth, we are always learning and as educators it is our duty to stay up to date with what is going on in the internet world and finding new and innovative ways to incorporate it into our teaching.

    ReplyDelete